Home » Tax Information

Your employers are required to withhold tax from your salary and pay this to the Australian Tax Office (ATO). At the conclusion of the financial year or when you leave Australia you could be entitled to claim a large proportion of these tax payments back. That could be a trip to bali! Road tripping through New Zealand or that visit to Fiji.

The Australian financial year runs from July 1st to June 30th and if you’re eligible upon completion ( or when you leave Aus) you’ll to lodge your return and get your hard earned money back. So now you know where the missing chunk of your pay has been going. If you’re not an Australian resident for tax purposes that chunk is 29% of your total income. If you’re leaving prior to the finish of the financial year and will no longer be working in Australia you can lodge your tax return in advance. Check out the tax rates below.



Taxation Rates


Residents for Tax Purposes

Taxable income Tax on this income
0 – $18,201 Nil
18,201 – $37,000 29c for each $1 over $18,201
$37,001 – $80,000 $3,572 plus 32.5c for each $1 over $37,000
$80,001 – $180,000 $17,547 plus 37c for each $1 over $80,000
$180,001 and over $54,547 plus 45c for each $1 over $180,000


Non Resident for Tax Purposes

The following rates for 2012-13 apply from 1 July 2012.

Taxable income Tax on this income
0 – $18,201 32.5c for each $1
$80,001 – $180,000 $26,000 plus 37c for each $1 over $80,000
$180,001 and over $63,000 plus 45c for each $1 over $180,000

Apply for Your Tax Refund Now!



Tax-free threshold

If you are a classed as a resident for tax purposes, you do not pay tax on the first $18,000 of your income (this is known as the ‘tax-free threshold’). You can claim the tax-free threshold from only one payer at any one time.

If you are paid under voluntary terms, such as WWOOFing, you’re not required to complete a tax file number declaration.

If you would like to get a Free Tax Estimate you can get that:

Apply for a Free Tax Estimate